Visual Thinking, Rebuilding the Trades, Animal Consciousness, Training AI | Dr. Temple Grandin #64
What is visual thinking? Are we devaluing the trades today to our own peril? Do we need to do a better job of getting our children out and playing with tools? My guest this week thinks so, and I largely agree with her. I'm humbled and honored to have Dr. Temple Grandin on my show this week. Dr. Grandin is incredibly well known for her work in the fields of Autism, thinking, and animal welfare. She has just finished a brand new book: Visual Thinking: The Hidden Gifts of People Who Think in Pictures, Patterns, and Abstractions. We spend quite a bit of our time discussing aspects of the book and the ways that we can better utilize the various skills that we have as a people. If you want to support our movement to bring civility back to discourse, hit the subscribe/follow button; leave a kind comment or rating where applicable; and share the show with a friend.
// EPISODE LINKS //
Dr. Grandin's Website: https://www.templegrandin.com/
Dr. Grandin's book (affiliate): https://amzn.to/3E1qgnx
// EPISODE OUTLINE //
02:07 Start of conversation
02:45 How do visual thinkers differ from verbal thinkers?
05:02 How did discovering thinking on a continuum change your thoughts on visual thinking?
09:08 We're eliminating futures because of one class.
09:55 Too much testing today, not enough learning
12:57 AI is exciting and horrifying at the the same time.
19:27 We're not valuing the trades well enough
22:44 What role did working with animals play in your understanding of thinking?
26:08 Most difficult part of your job working with animals and machinery?
27:53 "I would have been a video game addict" had I been born 30 years later.
30:09 We need to get back to building things beyond Legos
35:06 Working with large animals and teaching them manners
40:25 AI and privileging language
47:16 Computers will not replace us
50:45 What makes you hopeful about how we look at visual thinking in the future?
52:02 My closing thoughts
// WEBSITE //
Head over to the website to learn more about me and to contact me. https://theneutralgroundpodcast.com/
// EPISODE SUGGESTIONS //
1. Why we crave narrative? - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVqv1TIwLU4&t=129s
2. What we don't hear about incel culture: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynYdpuhqjLw&t=43s
3. Why not violence? - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ohhht-zwNaU&t=1010s
4. The need for the heroic narrative - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoCLHOpM03o&t=202s
5. Why are we fascinated with psychopaths? - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQgL13gP9ZE&t=50s
Would you like to do your part to help bring civility back to our conversations? We need to get The Neutral Ground message in front of more people, and you can help with just a few keystrokes and some clicks of a mouse.
1) Start by hitting the subscribe button and turning on notifications.
2) Then, hit the like button.
3) Leave a thoughtful/uplifting comment for others to engage with.
4) Watch another video on the channel.
5) Share the channel or a video with someone else on your social media accounts
6) Head over to my website at https://theneutralgroundpodcast.com/
Once on the website, you can actually go to the contact section and leave an audio comment for me to use on the podcast.
7) You can also subscribe to the podcast on any one of the following platforms as well: Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Amazon Music
I realize that you do not have to do any of this. Therefore, even f you do just one of those items listed, I am genuinely grateful. Try to keep one foot firmly planted on the Neutral Ground, and have a great day.
#templegrandin #visualthinking #skills #psychology #chatgpt