We are growing increasingly more nervous about how the digital tools around us are able to gain more access to our information and to our lives. Whether we are thinking about simple things like malware and viruses to more complex applications like deep fake technologies and artificial intelligence. Even with my computer science background, I find these topics to be incredibly complex. That is why I have asked Dr. Daniel Graham on the show. Daniel G. Graham is an Assistant Professor of Computer Science at The University of Virginia in Charlottesville, Virginia. His research interests include secure embedded systems and networks. Before teaching at UVA, Dr. Graham was a Program Manager at Microsoft in Seattle, Washington. He publishes in IEEE journals relating to sensors and networks. In this episode, we talk about ransomware, malware, ethical hacking, multi-layered threats to our infrastructures, and why we should take a beat and think about how much of our culture we want to digitize into the future. If you want to support our mission to bring civility back to discourse, hit the subscribe button, the like button, and leave a kind comment for me and my guest. The support is always appreciated.
// EPISODE LINKS //
Guest's website: https://danielggraham.com/ethical-hac...
// EPISODE OUTLINE //
02:12 Start of conversation
02:32 How did you get into cybersecurity?
07:04 What is ethical hacking?
10:32 Bug bounty hunting
11:44 Is there a strong community who want to help companies find these exploits?
14:39 How does ethical hacking help us defend our infrastructures
24:00 Can you envision a multilayered attack to our infrastructure in the USA?
32:07 How should we look at digital artifacts from a civilization perspective?
37:10 Why should we think of hacking people and not machines?
44:10 Should we be more worried about deep fake technology than we are?
48:46 Why is ransomware so successful?
53:52 Does the celebritization of hackers help or hurt our ability to stay ahead of threats?
59:53 What is one thing that makes you hopeful about the field and one thing that scares you?
1:06:01 Closing thoughts
// WEBSITE //
Head over to the website to learn more about me and to contact me. https://theneutralgroundpodcast.com/
// EPISODE SUGGESTIONS //
1. ChatGPT, Cheating, Critical Thinking, and the Future of Humanity and AI | Dr. Teo Susnjak #65? -
• ChatGPT, Cheating...
2. What we don't hear about incel culture | Drs. Sarah Daly & Shon Reed -
• Incel Culture, Ol...
3. Why not violence? Dr. Duane Armitage -
• Imitating Violenc...
4. Visual Thinking, Rebuilding the Trades, Animal Consciousness, Training AI | Dr. Temple Grandin -
• Visual Thinking, ...
5. Crisis in Men, Anger and Alienation in boys, What is Going on? | Dr. Robert Tyminski -
• Crisis in Men, An...
Would you like to do your part to help bring civility back to our conversations? We need to get The Neutral Ground message in front of more people, and you can help with just a few keystrokes and some clicks of a mouse.
1) Start by hitting the subscribe button and turning on notifications.
2) Then, hit the like button.
3) Leave a thoughtful/uplifting comment for others to engage with.
4) Watch another video on the channel.
5) Share the channel or a video with someone else on your social media accounts
6) Head over to my website at https://theneutralgroundpodcast.com/
Once on the website, you can actually go to the contact section and leave an audio comment for me to use on the podcast.
7) You can also subscribe to the podcast on any one of the following platforms as well: Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Amazon Music
I realize that you do not have to do any of this. Therefore, even f you do just one of those items listed, I am genuinely grateful. Try to keep one foot firmly planted on the Neutral Ground, and have a great day.
#hacking #hacker #ethicalhacking #deepfake #ai
We'd love to hear from you! Please, complete the form below to get in touch.