ChatGPT, Cheating, Critical Thinking, and the Future of Humanity and AI | Dr. Teo Susnjak #65
ChatGPT has been discussed on quite the continuum: everywhere from a positive force for human evolution to the beginning of the end of humanity. Where do I stand on this issue? Well, I hope I make that clear by the end of the episode. Whether you stand on the positive side of the opinion spectrum or the negative, ChatGPT is undeniably ushering in something new in terms of technology. I have played around with it quite a few times and I find it to be incredibly fascinating--and so does our guest this week: Dr. Teo Susnjak. Teo Susnjak is a Senior Lecturer (Assistant Professor) in Computer Science and IT at Massey University in New Zealand where he teaches courses in Data Science. He has authored a fantastic article on ChatGPT and online exam integrity entitled, "ChatGPT: The End of Online Exam Integrity?" We use this article in this episode as our way into discussing ChatGPT and what it is capable of doing. We also talk about the pros and cons of ChatGPT--some of which might actually surprise you. Finally, we give our overall opinions on our feelings regarding the trajectory of AI and the human species. As always, if you want to support our mission to bring civility back to mainstream discourse, hit the subscribe button, the like button, and leave a kind comment for me and my guest. It is always appreciated.
// EPISODE LINKS //
Susnjak. (2022). ChatGPT: The End of Online Exam Integrity? https://doi.org/10.48550/arxiv.2212.09292
// EPISODE OUTLINE //
02:35 Start of conversation
03:25 What is ChatGPT?
08:49 Why did you pursue this study of exam integrity and ChatGPT?
11:39 Were you expecting ChatGPT to fail your tests?
12:41 What were your aims for the study?
14:40 Are students really cheating online or not?
24:11 Can ChatGPT help us to write better code?
29:47 Is ChatGPT a critical thinking entity?
32:42 Does plagiarism detection software work on ChatGPT?
39:35 What about educating students on the ethical problems of cheating?
44:09 ChatGPT is asked how it would secure online exams
48:29 There needs to be a change in the culture of education
50:14 What were your conclusions?
53:31 What do you think about the future of humanity and AI?
59:50 Final thoughts
// WEBSITE //
Head over to the website to learn more about me and to contact me. https://theneutralgroundpodcast.com/
// EPISODE SUGGESTIONS //
1. Why we crave narrative? - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVqv1TIwLU4&t=129s
2. What we don't hear about incel culture: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynYdpuhqjLw&t=43s
3. Why not violence? - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ohhht-zwNaU&t=1010s
4. The need for the heroic narrative - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoCLHOpM03o&t=202s
5. Why are we fascinated with psychopaths? - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQgL13gP9ZE&t=50s
Would you like to do your part to help bring civility back to our conversations? We need to get The Neutral Ground message in front of more people, and you can help with just a few keystrokes and some clicks of a mouse.
1) Start by hitting the subscribe button and turning on notifications.
2) Then, hit the like button.
3) Leave a thoughtful/uplifting comment for others to engage with.
4) Watch another video on the channel.
5) Share the channel or a video with someone else on your social media accounts
6) Head over to my website at https://theneutralgroundpodcast.com/
Once on the website, you can actually go to the contact section and leave an audio comment for me to use on the podcast.
7) You can also subscribe to the podcast on any one of the following platforms as well: Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Amazon Music
I realize that you do not have to do any of this. Therefore, even f you do just one of those items listed, I am genuinely grateful. Try to keep one foot firmly planted on the Neutral Ground, and have a great day.
#chatgpt #ai #educationmatters #artificialintelligence #chatgptexamples #chatgptexplained
We'd love to hear from you! Please, complete the form below to get in touch.