Who's afraid of the multiverse? Are there ways to reconcile faith and science? Can doing so actually strengthen both? My guest on this episode of The Neutral Ground Podcast is Dr. Jeff Zweerink. Dr. Zweerink is an astrophysicist, specializing in gamma rays. We talk about the various multiverse theories, and I even ask him about the Marvel Cinematic Universe multiverse as well. We try to reconcile that there might be multiple versions of ourselves out there and what that means on human and theological levels. We also talk about the inspiration of Star Wars and the science behind Luke Skywalker's famous image of the binary star system on Tattooine. I also ask my guest about the moving moment on the Lix Fridman podcast when he asks Elon Musk about the first launch of Space X and how Elon said a prayer for the people on board. Neither my guest nor myself try to pronounce or prescribe any religious belief to Musk, but we both find it to be a moving moment of humanity--with a little more to say on the topic added as well. Finally, we spend a significant time talking about the relationship between philosophy/theology and science and how the two can hopefully strengthen each other. This is a fantastic episode. Make sure you are subscribed to the channel, and check out Dr. Zweerink's works below as well.
GUEST WORKS: (Affiliate Link)
01:45 Beginning of interview: worst or best opening question ever?
03:44 Some background on Dr. Zweerink and the Big Bang
11:07 What is one area of astrophysics/multiverse modeling that makes you excited and one that you struggle with?
13:57 Bringing science and philosophy together again
19:55 What is it about Star Wars that got you so excited about science?
23:21 The iconic binary star image from Star Wars with Luke Skywalker
26:00 We're fascinated by the lives of extraterrestrials, how they live
28:23 What's up with the Marvel cinematic multiverse?
30:52 Elon Musk says a prayer for humanity on the Lex Fridman podcast
37:00 Letting go of the control
40:10 How does your faith feed your scientific pursuit of knowledge?
45:00 Are there tough conversations happening in science now?
Main website: https://theneutralgroundpodcast.com/
RSS Feed: https://anchor.fm/s/644ea0e8/podcast/rss
SUPPORT THE PODCAST:
KEY EPISODES FOR UNDERSTANDING MY SHOW:
1) Postmodernism and a Joke Gone Too Far: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szjKBcbAW3I
2) Neomodernism: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVHMm2A-fcA
3) Podcasting Rhetorics and Joe Rogan | My Conversation with Matthew Jacobson: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsOMhCZORts
Would you like to do your part to help bring civility back to our conversations? We need to get The Neutral Ground message in front of more people, and you can help with just a few keystrokes and some clicks of a mouse.
1) Start by hitting the subscribe button and turning on notifications.
2) Then, hit the like button.
3) Leave a thoughtful/uplifting comment for others to engage with.
4) Watch another video on the channel.
5) Share the channel or a video with someone else on your social media accounts
6) Head over to my website at https://theneutralgroundpodcast.com/
Once on the website, you can actually go to the contact section and leave an audio comment for me to use on the podcast.
7) You can also subscribe to the podcast on any one of the following platforms as well: Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Amazon Music, Joemeyer.substack.com
I realize that you do not have to do any of this. Therefore, even f you do just one of those items listed, I am genuinely grateful. Try to keep one foot firmly planted on the Neutral Ground, and have a great day.
#multiverse #jeffzweerink #neutralgroundpodcast #elonmusk #lexfridman #prayer #starwars #faithandscience #humanity
We'd love to hear from you! Please, complete the form below to get in touch.