If you love philosophy, this is the episode for you. Our guest for this episode is Dr. Joel Smith. He's a philosophy lecturer at the University of Manchester. He's written a fantastic book: Existentialism: A Philosophical Inquiry. I've read quite a few books on philosophy over the years, but I particularly enjoyed Joel's because of its clarity and stated goals from the outset. Joel wants to reclaim existentialism to a degree--to bring it back from being little more than slogans like, "existence precedes essence." Don't worry; we're going to be talking about that particular statement and what Sartre actually mean. We wrestle with names like Sartre, Nietzsche, Kant, Kierkegaard, Hegel, de Beauvoir, Hume, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few more. As always, if you appreciate the work here, let me know by hitting the subscribe button, the like button, and sharing the show with a friend. Join our growing community of individuals who care about civil discourse.
// EPISODE LINKS //
Routledge Press: https://www.routledge.com/Existential...
Amazon (Affiliate Link): https://amzn.to/3CfqLth
// EPISODE OUTLINE //
00:00 Teaser on Nietzsche
00:38 Introduction--I miss teaching philosophy
02:35 Start of conversation
03:15 How do you approach existentialism in your book?
09:01 What role did Kant and the Enlightenment play in developing existentialism?
16:20 Kierkegaard and the relationship between truth and value
25:32 How do you approach teaching the value of truth in class?
32:09 Did your students find comfort in philosophy during the height of the pandemic?
35:38 Why was Nietzsche interested in suffering and how it related to gods?
43:30 How does Nihilism emerge in Nietzsche's mind?
55:29 How did existentialists like Sartre and de Beauvoir respond to Nietzsche's worries about Nihilism?
1:01:45 What is de Beauvoir's story of Monique and how does it teach us about living in bad faith?
1:14:09 How do we live in self-deception?
1:23:01 My thank you to Joel
1:24:48 My closing thoughts: I'm brining in Rousseau and the chains--you know what I mean
// WEBSITE //
Head over to the website to learn more about me and to contact me. https://theneutralgroundpodcast.com/
// EPISODE SUGGESTIONS //
1. Why we crave narrative? - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVqv1...
2. What we don't hear about incel culture: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynYdp...
3. Why not violence? - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ohhht...
4. The need for the heroic narrative - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoCLH...
5. Why are we fascinated with psychopaths? - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQgL1...
Would you like to do your part to help bring civility back to our conversations? We need to get The Neutral Ground message in front of more people, and you can help with just a few keystrokes and some clicks of a mouse.
1) Start by hitting the subscribe button and turning on notifications.
2) Then, hit the like button.
3) Leave a thoughtful/uplifting comment for others to engage with.
4) Watch another video on the channel.
5) Share the channel or a video with someone else on your social media accounts
6) Head over to my website at https://theneutralgroundpodcast.com/
Once on the website, you can actually go to the contact section and leave an audio comment for me to use on the podcast.
7) You can also subscribe to the podcast on any one of the following platforms as well: Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Amazon Music, Joemeyer.substack.com
I realize that you do not have to do any of this. Therefore, even f you do just one of those items listed, I am genuinely grateful. Try to keep one foot firmly planted on the Neutral Ground, and have a great day.
#existentialism #sartre #nietzsche #kierkegaard #Kant #philosophypodcast #philosophy #nihilism
We'd love to hear from you! Please, complete the form below to get in touch.