Is there a crisis in men and young boys? If so, what is causing this crisis? This week, our guest is Dr. Robert Tyminski. Robert has written a book that explores this question, and for him, one of the primary causes is the ways in which we approach our digital spaces. We discuss feelings of alienation, omnipotence, masculinity and femininity, breaking through the inner world of men, James Baldwin's hypermasculinity in public, what constitutes reality, and how this phenomenon did not simply appear in the 21st century. As always, if you find the conversation interesting, consider supporting our efforts to bring civil discourse back to the mainstream by clicking the subscribe button, hitting the like button, and leaving a thoughtful comment for me and my guest. As always, we appreciate your taking the time to listen.
// EPISODE LINKS //
Routledge Press: https://www.routledge.com/Male-Alienation-at-the-Crossroads-of-Identity-Culture-and-Cyberspace/Tyminski/p/book/9781138065406
Amazon (Affiliate Link): https://amzn.to/3kisV5c
// EPISODE OUTLINE //
00:00 Teaser (did this crisis appear out of nowhere?)
02:45 Start of conversation
03:19 Why did you take on this study of male alienation and mental health?
08:35 Did this crisis appear out of nowhere or has it always been with us?
11:41 Does a man's inner world differ from a woman's inner world?
14:48 James Baldwin's hyper masculinity when speaking
17:48 How do you approach reconciling the femininity within the masculine?
23:18 How often do you have to negotiate what "reality" means with young men?
28:09 I relay advice that I heard about burying bad Tweets. (I don't recommend this approach, but I can see how it might work today.)
30:29 Do we have a language problem or communication problem in texting?
34:40 Will we eventually see the anxiety of thoughts getting people canceled?
36:50 Is there even a difference between a digital identity and a "real" one?
39:33 Why is encouragement so important for young people?
41:17 Why is simple information and encouragement important for young men in puberty?
47:07 Young people are having problems vocalizing/verbalizing issues meaningfully
49:28 Why was Brad (from the book) struggling so much, and how did he find some measure of social success through a penpal?
54:50: What does Freud mean by bodily ego and how does this connect with video gaming avatars?
59:26 What would you tell parents/guardians/individuals who want to move toward a more positive footing on this issue?
1:01:30 My closing thoughts
// WEBSITE //
Head over to the website to learn more about me and to contact me. https://theneutralgroundpodcast.com/
// EPISODE SUGGESTIONS //
1. Why we crave narrative? - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVqv1TIwLU4&t=129s
2. What we don't hear about incel culture: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynYdpuhqjLw&t=43s
3. Why not violence? - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ohhht-zwNaU&t=1010s
4. The need for the heroic narrative - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoCLHOpM03o&t=202s
5. Why are we fascinated with psychopaths? - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQgL13gP9ZE&t=50s
Would you like to do your part to help bring civility back to our conversations? We need to get The Neutral Ground message in front of more people, and you can help with just a few keystrokes and some clicks of a mouse.
1) Start by hitting the subscribe button and turning on notifications.
2) Then, hit the like button.
3) Leave a thoughtful/uplifting comment for others to engage with.
4) Watch another video on the channel.
5) Share the channel or a video with someone else on your social media accounts
6) Head over to my website at https://theneutralgroundpodcast.com/
Once on the website, you can actually go to the contact section and leave an audio comment for me to use on the podcast.
7) You can also subscribe to the podcast on any one of the following platforms as well: Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Amazon Music, Joemeyer.substack.com
I realize that you do not have to do any of this. Therefore, even f you do just one of those items listed, I am genuinely grateful. Try to keep one foot firmly planted on the Neutral Ground, and have a great day.
#men #crisis #socialmedia #digitallife #disconnected #alienation #psychology #psychiatry
We'd love to hear from you! Please, complete the form below to get in touch.