Charles Dickens A Christmas Carol - Why You Should Read the Actual Text | Dr. Joe Meyer #59
It's the season for Dickens' A Christmas Carol. With all of the various adaptations (Alistair Sim, Patrick Stewart, Muppets and Michael Cain) which one should you choose this year? Well, I'm going to make the case that you should be reading A Christmas Carol instead. I'm going to talk about three aspects of Charles Dickens' a Christmas Carol that are often neglected: Jacob Marley's true cause for suffering; Fan meeting Ebenezer Scrooge at the school; and how time functions in the story. We get different accounts of time from Jacob Marley, the ghost of Christmas Past, Present, and Future. Does this miracle actually happen all in one night, or is Charles Dickens doing something more interesting here with time? We talk about Cain and Abel, Milton's Satan, and I make my plea for people to stop letting politics get in the way of family. If you find the discussion interesting at all, consider subscribing to the channel. We're trying to bring civility back to discourse one conversation at a time. And, we can certainly use your help.
// WEBSITE //
Head over to the website to learn more about me and to contact me. https://theneutralgroundpodcast.com/
From YouTube Audio: DJ Williams
// EPISODE OUTLINE //
01:37 My favorite adaptation: Alistair Sim 1951 Christmas Carol
02:34 The three sections we need to look at
03:07 Brief summary of A Christmas Carol
03:54 Section 1: Jacob Marley's Visit and why he's really suffering
05:10 Am I My Brother's Keeper? The Cain and Abel Story
08:31 Marley and Satan from John Milton's Paradise Lost
14:43 Section 2: Fan visits Ebenezer Scrooge at school
21:20 A New way to view Fred, Scrooge's Nephew
24:02 Section 3: What is going on with the time in A Christmas Carol?
30:36 My quick plea to those of you who are not talking to loved ones because of politics
32:41 My closing thoughts
// EPISODE SUGGESTIONS //
1. Why we crave narrative? - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVqv1...
2. What we don't hear about incel culture: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynYdp...
3. Why not violence? - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ohhht...
4. The need for the heroic narrative - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoCLH...
5. Why are we fascinated with psychopaths? - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQgL1...
Would you like to do your part to help bring civility back to our conversations? We need to get The Neutral Ground message in front of more people, and you can help with just a few keystrokes and some clicks of a mouse.
1) Start by hitting the subscribe button and turning on notifications.
2) Then, hit the like button.
3) Leave a thoughtful/uplifting comment for others to engage with.
4) Watch another video on the channel.
5) Share the channel or a video with someone else on your social media accounts
6) Head over to my website at https://theneutralgroundpodcast.com/
Once on the website, you can actually go to the contact section and leave an audio comment for me to use on the podcast.
7) You can also subscribe to the podcast on any one of the following platforms as well: Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Amazon Music, Joemeyer.substack.com
I realize that you do not have to do any of this. Therefore, even f you do just one of those items listed, I am genuinely grateful. Try to keep one foot firmly planted on the Neutral Ground, and have a great day.
#christmascarol #scrooge #dickens #christmas #christmasmovies #christmasspecial
We'd love to hear from you! Please, complete the form below to get in touch.